Monday 10 November 2008

Alicia Pearce - Analysing Magazine Covers


Analysing Music Magazine Covers


This week have been analysing music magazine covers to try and understand why there designed the way they are and what meanings there are behind the design. I have analysed 4 magazine covers so I have I wide range of different types of music. All 4 magazines are based on different types of music and give out different meanings. These magazines are Rolling Stones, Vibe, NME and Top of the Pops. I chose these 4 magazines because they are the most popular music magazines and they all had very eye catching images so therefore would be good to analyses. For each magazine I analysed the name, target audience, front cover, style of presentation and the mode of address. I explained what the designer had done and what effect they were trying to create, like making the reader stop and look at the magazine. From studying the covers carefully and in detail I have learnt that every image and text is carefully constructed to create an effect or meaning. Readers sometimes do not even notice the meaning being portrayed from a simple image or text. Analysing these covers has given me ideas about what I need to do to create the right effect I want. And also what I should do to get the readers interested to make my magazine successful.

No comments: